Saturday, July 3, 2010

It prints MONEY, man.


Yesterday I linked to a YouTube video that pretty much completely bashed the average iPhone consumer for being for all intents and purposes a zombie when it comes to their smartphone shopping. After a good sunset and sunrise all of a sudden a man is in the process of losing his job over his little jab at the apple-heads out there.

Apparently the creator of the video is (was?) an employee of Best Buy. This fact would have been a mystery to us if his employers didn't decide to get spooked about some sort of backlash from Apple and decide to suspend the person who passed out over a million laughs on YouTube. I've heard of people losing scholarships, relationships, and jobs over Facebook and the like, but I haven't seen jobs lost over a viral video since the Domino's pizza fiasco from a while back.

To this I say, REALLY Best Buy? At least with the Domino's incident there were clear violations of health code, in this case there is no real reason to fire this man. He's practically losing his job for expressing his opinion. I reiterate, without Best Buy having gone through this suspension (and possible firing) process, for the most part NO ONE would have known the video's creator worked there. It's not as though Apple hasn't already been bashed into the dirt for years, this is just another piece that was done that can go on top of the huge pile of anti-Apple that has been piling up for YEARS. One thing is for certain. We need to lay down some ground rules for the seperation of work and internet before this continues to grow out of hand.

[dequeue]

credit for the original version of the photo above goes to user bdjsb7 @ Flickr.